Iâ€™m in the later chapters of Genesis right now in my Quiet Time. Itâ€™s all about the life of Joseph (definitely one of my very favorite biblical personalities).
Heâ€™s actually a â€˜type of Christâ€™ and the similarities with him and Jesus are perhaps more vivid than with any other Old Testament person.
Think about it:
- He was despised among his own,
- Accused without cause.
- Highly exalted after being condemned,
- Found favor with both God and man,
- Declared to be above all others in wisdom,
- The Spirit of God was manifest in him.
- Told of future events on earth.
- Placed over the house of the supreme ruler,
- Given all authority,
- Dressed in fine linen with gold accents,
- Every knee bowed before him
And these are only some of the similarities between Joseph and Jesus. How flat out awesome is this fore-shadowing of the coming Messiah?! Here are some moreâ€”I canâ€™t help it!
- He began his earthly ministry at age 30.
- He brought forth fruit and a harvest in the land of famine and affliction.
- He fed the multitudes.
- Even while he was estranged from his own people, he was a blessing to the whole earth!
Through the life of Joseph we actually learn more about Jesus.
How cool is that?
But there is one major differenceâ€¦
Jesus was and is perfect.
Just some thoughts.